PRS Foundation and Key Production Group present…Flash Funding for Vinyl in association with Music Glue and Metropolis Studios.
Following 2017’s popular partnership, PRS Foundation is pleased to announce the return of Flash Funding for Vinyl – offering emerging UK artists and bands the opportunity to develop their careers with additional support this year from Music Glue and Metropolis Studios.
4 x artists/bands will each receive:
- 500 X 12” Vinyl from Key Production Group & Modo
Worth over £1,500, artists receive 500 x stunning 12” vinyl, with Key Production Group supporting artists based on a menu of design options
- Release Support from Music Glue
Artists will receive tailored support from Music Glue to help with their direct-to-fan ecommerce, including:
- Free website build and integrated online store on the Music Glue platform
- Release strategy meeting with the Music Glue team
- Audio Mastering from Metropolis Studios
Artists can access free mastering and a vinyl lacquer cut for single or EP releases*
- Ongoing Promotional Support from Flash Funding Partners
Partners will help to promote each release, staggered through 2018
The award is open to any emerging artist writing and performing their own music. The partners are looking for a healthy mix of new artists and those at a crucial career tipping point whose music is outstanding and is not limited to a specific genre. Those most ready to release 500 copies will be prioritised, as will those demonstrating that they are in need of support and have a sufficiently growing fan-base. Artists must be based in the UK and we will prioritise PRS members**.
PRS Foundation’s Flash Funding programme addresses issues facing emerging music creators by responding to specific needs with an innovative approach to funding, involving video submissions, quick decision turnaround and high-profile industry experts and partners.
This year’s Flash Fund for Vinyl is launched on April 30th, with a deadline of Friday 4th May. A longlist will be whittled down to 10 shortlisted applications taken to our Live Flash Funding Panel at The Great Escape on Friday 18th May (The Old Courtroom, 2.15pm) which will also be broadcast via Facebook Live.
Following an entertaining and informative live decision panel last year, the Live Decision Panel at The Great Escape features independent music expert advisors:
- Nadine Shah, Artist
- Nadia Khan, CTRL MANAGEMENT
- Julie Weir, Music For Nations/Sony
- Plus special guests TBA
Delegates will get an insight into the strength of video application and musical submissions and will hear from those working on the front-line of new music to see how selected artists jump out and receive support. This level of insight is invaluable to artists, managers and team members putting themselves forward for support opportunities.
Who can apply?
- UK-based artists, bands and performers
- Self-releasing artists and artists signed to independent labels (unless financial support is clearly not needed)
- Artists with team members (e.g. management, booking agents, PR, pluggers) are welcome to apply but all video applications must be submitted by the artist.
- Artists with recent or upcoming recordings will be prioritised. Those whose related recordings have been previously released must justify demand for a vinyl release
- Those with a clear sales plan for resulting releases
What are we looking for?
We are looking to support those creating, recording, performing and promoting outstanding new music. We want to support the next generation of credible talent and artists that are most ready to reap the benefits of a vinyl release. Those receiving support must sell resulting vinyl and must show a clear plan for their release.
*Flash Funding partners envisage selected artists are most likely to release EPs. Metropolis Studios offer free mastering (where required) for up to 4 tracks. For releases with more tracks, partners will use best endeavours to cover costs or offer discounted mastering.
**we can support those who are not members yet but would not select those signed up to competing collection societies such as ASCAP and APRA
Artists supported in previous years are:
- Yassassin (Brighton)
- Speakman Sound (Glastonbury)
- Vulgarians (Hull)
- Marsicans (Yorkshire)
- Them Blends (London)
- Barney Artist (London)
- Robocobra Quartet (Northern Ireland)
- The Pictish Trail (Scotland)
- Weirds (Yorkshire)
Who should not apply?
- Artists signed to major labels are ineligible
- Artists funded recently through other PRS Foundation schemes are unlikely to receive support. If in doubt, ask your existing PRS Foundation contact
- Those deemed not in need of funding support will not be selected
- Those planning on giving away the resulting release
The application process
Our online application form allows artists to submit the following parts for consideration:
- 2 x Musical Examples (links to SoundCloud, Spotify, Bandcamp, MixCloud, YouTube, etc.)
- 1 x Video Submission (3 mins max)
- A 3 minute video must answer the following questions:
– Describe your music and summarise your career to date (45 secs maximum)
– What are your musical ambitions? (30 secs maximum)
– Why is now the right time for you to make and release 500 x 12” vinyl? (45 secs maximum)
– How do you plan to sell your vinyl? (30 secs maximum)
– What will you do with the money raised from selling vinyl? (30 secs maximum)
While well produced videos are nice to see, you will only be judged on the strength of your music and your answers to the above questions. Passion goes a lot further than visual production values so feel free to use camera phones if you do not have access to professional standard filming equipment.
The vinyl offer
Key Production Group offer 500 x 12” vinyl per artist, which includes:
- 140g Black vinyl 12″ with full colour label
- Full colour LP sleeve with 3mm spine on 300gsm w-w Board
- White paper inner bag
- Plus free: 5x test pressings, artwork check, 1 x UK delivery
Application Deadline: 6pm, 4th May
Please be aware that – if selected for panel discussion – your video application and musical submissions will be seen and discussed at The Great Escape and potentially broadcast live. If you are not comfortable with this, please apply for alternative funding opportunities.